Thursday, October 22, 2015

10/23 Bearcat Pride

Bearcat Pride
            Before October 31, 1914, the University of Cincinnati wasn’t referred to as the ‘Bearcats.’ Our school was referred to as the “Red & Black,” “Varsity” and “Cincinnati Eleven” to name a few. But on this day our school name was forever changed. Leonard ‘Teddy’ Baehr, a star football player at the time, inspired a creative cheerleader to start the chant, “they may be Wildcats, but we have a Baehr-cat on our side,” during a tough battle between UC and the Kentucky Wildcats. From this day forward we have build on this nickname and as a mascot for over 100 years strong.

Here at the University of Cincinnati, I think I can speak on the behalf of all of us; we carry extreme pride for our colors of black and red, for our mascot, our sports teams and for our educational achievements. It’s not just in the way we talk with our friends about how much we love our school, or tell our family how great it is here on campus. You can see the passion we have through the way we carry ourselves.
            There’s something about waking up on gameday and walking through campus and seeing all the students, faculty and alumni here to support their Bearcats in their red and black. We don’t just wear these colors because it’s mandatory or even because that’s just our school colors. We wear these colors with pride and happiness about where we have chosen to further our education and create our futures.
            We are among some of the best top rated schools and I am ecstatic to tell people this is the school I attend. I know that by telling people this is the university I chose they will respect me and honor our hard work, talent and achievements. I chose to personally come here because of our outstanding educational program among the many other top rank programs here at UC, much like the reason most of us probably chose to attend this school.
I think it is important when you choose where you want to go to college, you think about yourself and what aspects you would like your university to reflect within yourself. I have always been extremely involved in extracurricular activities other than just my schoolwork and I saw that UC had endless opportunities for me. While we all are ultimately here to get an education (or at least I hope), there are still things for me to stay involved with and make me feel at home and comfortable in my own skin. There’s not a day that goes by that I walk through our campus and there’s not some sort of activity happening trying to get students to join their club, their organization or even just an event to have a little fun. Campus is always live with positive energy that makes our university so welcoming. 
               
            Ultimately, our school is more than just our cheers and enthusiasm at a football game, or the fun we have on the weekends together or even more than just being able to hang with friends whenever our hearts desire. Our school carries pride in everything we do and we do it with fire and eagerness. I have a passion for bettering myself at such a unique and excellent university, while wearing my red and black proudly. I know that I have a full support system behind me no matter. I will pompously speak my love and support for UC all my life; I will always be a Bearcat.

                                                   



No comments:

Post a Comment