Tuesday, November 17, 2015

11/20- Red Traffic Light- Deckert

     The red light flashes in my eyes every time I try to sleep. My heart beats faster, my body becomes numb and my eyes begin to tear.

     I wake up and go to school, but all I can think of is what happened last night. People ask me if I am alright, but I just stare back at them with my blood shot eyes.

     After school, I get a ride home from my friend. I sit in the front seat and gaze into the road when he starts driving. I have driven with him before and I know he is a cautious driver. I shouldn’t have anything to worry about. However, I still grab the door and press my feet to the floor every time we come to stop at a traffic light. It’s an immediate reaction, I can’t help it.

     It is two weeks later I am still getting rides from my friends and my parents. It may take a while for me to drive again. I don’t have a car, but if I did, I know I would flashback to my sickening feelings from that night.

      I can picture it now, pulling up to a red light, my mind begins to shut off from the present world and all I see is the car. The car driving in front of me, and I uncontrollably ram into the side of it. My head still remembers the pain from the impact. I can still see it clearly, the car spinning to the left, other cars swerving out of the way and my car pulling forward onto the side walk. At this point I can’t breathe. I have never cried so much in my life. My car door is crushed and impossible to open. All I can do is wait for the police to arrive. They get here, and tell me no one is hurt, but I still cannot get myself to look at the people in the other car.  How could I, when I feel like I caused such a tragedy? I sit down in the back of the police car while he questions me. He asks, “How fast were you going?, Are you wearing corrective lenses?, Are you under the influence?”. I answer, “I slammed on my breaks after going 40mph, so probably 25mph, yes I have contacts in and no I am not under the influence. I am just tired. I fell into a sleeping daze, but when I saw that red light, I woke up. At that point it was too late and I drove right through it, already causing the accident.

                       

     If I was driving right now, these thoughts would race through my head. They are too distracting. That’s I why I should wait to drive again.

     It is been a few months since the accident. I have been confident enough to drive. I have actually become a better driver than I have before. I am much more aware, and my parents notice that I have recovered.

     It is now three years later and I have my own car so I can drive back and forth from college. Even now, driving for three years with no problems, my mom says, “Don’t drive tired sweetie”.

                                  




No comments:

Post a Comment