Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Smoky Eye- 11/20 McCarthy


It wasn’t until I perfected blended all the shades of black and grey that I truly felt empowered. The smoky eye is a look that makes me feel fierce, sexy, and confident. The way the eyeshadow slowly fades from a shimmery grey into a charcoal black frames my eyes so perfectly, that you can’t help but look. All of the celebrities and models rock this eye-conic look to make a statement to the world that they are ready for anything. The smoky eye is used to bring life to one’s eyes and maybe even attract a little scandal at the same time. The darkening shades tend to create a kind of alluring look. They smoky eye is a timeless look for women everywhere.
There are multiple different kinds of smoky eye looks, but I’m going to talk about the three most used ones: The Gradient Effect, The Cut Crease, and the Fade From Black. The Gradient Effect is the most popular smoky eye style and most likely the easiest to execute. This style is seen in the picture above. The look starts by using one color beginning in the crease and fades darker as it reaches the outside of the eyelid. This can be done with many different color pallets, rather than just black and grey, If you want to go for a look to wear at work rather than your night out, I would suggest using different shades of brown to create the same confidence-boosting effect.

The Cut Crease style is a form of the smoky eye that we see mainly on celebrities and some makeup enthusiasts. Kim Kardashian is wearing this stunning look in the picture above. This style is slightly more advanced and may be difficult for the average person to do. This look is when you make it so that the crease of your eyelid is a sharp difference and darker than the rest of your eyelid. You want to give the crease color a contrasting and dramatic shade to really make your eyes stand out. This look usually is very angled around the eye as well.

The last big look when it comes to smoky eyes is the Fade From Black look. This is when you would take a dark shade of eyeshadow and put it across your whole eyelid, and then use a lighter color to fade from the eyelid up as shown in the picture. This style is more for those who want a very stunning and over-the-top smoky eye due to its excessive use of dark shades.

            Makeup is a way for you to show your style and uniqueness to everyone that sees you. The smoky eye is a timeless fashion statement, making women feel sexy, confident, and forever young. Whatever smoky style you decide to show off, you will definitely leave a lasting impression on whoever lays eyes on you.

"I have an irrational fear of wasting a perfect smoky eye on an insignificant day"


Works Cited


1 comment:

  1. I think there were several strong points to this piece that deserve some quick attention. You gave a detailed and proper analysis of what a smokey eye is, what it provides for the wearer emotionally, and then gave strong examples of different types and methods of wearing smokey eyes. I liked that you had images of all the different types so you could see how they differ and how each process is unique. I thought the description was accurate (as far as i know, I don't wear makeup) but you seem to have a clear grasp on the subject matter.

    In terms of organization, I would've liked to see a stronger argument towards the end, something in terms of what makes this styling technique better than others, or why this product is superior to other methods. You could even argue which method is the best of the three, but leaving it ambiguous like that at the end was not really satisfying as a reader. I wanted some advice on which of the three styles I should look out for as a guy, and instead I'm told to watch out for it in general. Maybe you don't have to take that specific of a route, but I expected some sort of argument and there wasn't much.

    I think the sources are fine, especially for the type of material here. I would've liked to see some hyperlinks in the text so I could learn about the styles myself and you could instead elaborate on other things. I also would've liked to see a quote or something in the text, especially since this is largely an opinion piece, but the sole quote at the end fits the theme and adds a bit of humor to the piece.

    Overall I thought this was an easy read, but I felt it mas missing something. I'd definitely consider elaborating on your opinions on the cosmetics at the end, and maybe even talk about the history of it.

    ReplyDelete